Saturday, August 7, 2010

Blue Willow




Gates, Dorris. Blue Willow. Puffin, 1976. ISBN: 978-0140309249

Since I seem to be on the subject of memorable books from my childhood, Blue Willow is most definitely a book that stuck with me. It was the first time I had to work to read a book: not because the text was difficult, but because it gave rise to feelings inside of me that were sad and despondent, as I began to identify with the main character, a young girl who is living through the Depression.

The title refers to her one and only possession of worth: a Blue Willow plate. As her family moves from place to place she has learned to never expect permanency, and is hesitant to make friends. Ultimately friends are found, but not without difficulties.

This book expresses, in a manner light enough for tweens to enjoy, but heavy enough for them to empathize, the struggles of the Great Depression. Just as I identified with the poverty that I had heard about from my grandmother and experienced myself from time to time (in not nearly a manner as desperate, yet still feeling as if it was paramount to my young life), I was able to identify with the story and emotion of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment