Wednesday, May 30, 2012

101 (Plus) Read - Alouds

There is an interesting blurring when it comes to the audience of a middle grade book. Initially, one would think a book like Chronicles of Narnia or A Wrinkle In Time would be appropriate for eight and up (roughly). 

However, many GREAT middle grade classics also make excellent read aloud books for kids! 

One of my first literary memories are of sitting outside and hearing my mother read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and of lying in bed as she tucked me in with a chapter from The Mouse and the Motorcycle

At the time, these books were above my reading level. But that does not mean I wouldn't enjoy listening to them as a child, reading them as a middle grade, and then rediscovering them as an adult. 

Here is a list of 101+ read aloud books that a mother compiled, and I am happy to say nearly all of them are titles I would recommend as well.

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/05/read-aloud.html


No comments:

Post a Comment